Friday, November 13, 2009

A Corporate Lesson

I was on the final year of my graduation. As a move to help our department juniors and get them prepared for campus selection, we conducted mock placement interviews. We religiously followed the campus selection process. All the 65 people underwent a technical written test. Then we conducted GD and finally there was a technical and HR interview. Our college had MBA course and we sought help from the HR Spec students. In one panel myself, my professor and a HR student were interviewing my juniors. We recorded the whole interview in camera so that it can be discussed as case study with others and general learning points can be drafted.

One guy entered the panel and he had a decent score in written test. Also he had a fair knowledge on his area of interest. My professor was happy to pass him through technical interview. Now the HR student will be conducting the interview. She asked him some personal questions. He did quite ok.
HR Student: What’s your memorable day in Life?

Junior: What do you mean by that? Like?

HR Student: I mean the ever cherishing one, an event that you will never forget.

Junior: Well, I can just remember one incident that happened in my school days. When I was in 10th a group opposite to me got punishment from my principal blah blah blah…. and I enjoyed that thoroughly!

Finally after my junior left I saw the HR interview comments. Nothing was mentioned about this “memorable day” answer! I asked the HR student, and I got a different reply. She just told his attitude is positive for the company.

Bhavan: How come? I thought you would atleast say that was an immatured answer?

HR: Let it be. But it is good for the person who manages him. He has a good technical knowledge and you guys approved it. Also his marks reflect his commitment. His expectations are very little. He would be satisfied if his boss comes and just says “You did a good Job”. I can keep him satisfied by just giving lower perks.

It took me two and a half years of corporate life to understand what she said that day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment